Thursday, August 03, 2006

New project: Literature reviews

One of my hobbies is reading great writing. Naturally, people are never surprised to see me going through books, spending too much time and money at bookstores, and lately seeking out good writers on the Internet.

In an effort to foster this literary environment online, I will start to write reviews of the works that I spend my time reading. This won't be limited to just fiction novels. I'll keep it open to non-fiction, poetry, short story collections, and anything else.

Most recently I've finished reading Truman Capote's non-fiction work In Cold Blood, so a review of it with my impressions will be the first to appear on the Writer Shore blog.

My current reading material is Yann Martel's novel Life of Pi, and we can expect a review of that to come second.

I think it'd be awesome for the readers of this blog to suggest anything you'd like me to read and write a review on. Just go to the comments and leave your suggestion, anything goes!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Here are a few reading lists that might help with ideas.

Books I would like to read:
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
- The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Books people are surprised I haven't read and subsequently suggest:
- Harry Potter, books 2 to the end (I've only read the first one)
- The DaVinci Code
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

What do you think?